I was chatting to a friend the other day about fancy dress costumes for festivals. She was saying that she’d got to buy four lots of fairy costumes for one festival they were going to, for her little girls. I mentioned that I’d once made a bumble bee costume and the easy DIY bee wings were so simple to make.
They’d easily make great fairy wings!
Quick View of What You'll Find on This Page
How Do you Make Bee Wings at Home?
I guess there are lots of different methods. I’ve seen all kids of weird and wacky creations online. Everything from simple cardboard ones to really complicated wire frames with net stretched over.
These easy DIY bee wings are so, so simple to make. You can even save up packaging materials, that come in your deliveries so you don’t have to buy the bubble wrap.
These are no sew, no stick, no fuss.
So simple to make and they’re really effective too.
How Do You Make Homemade Fly Wings?
You can make homemade fly wings in very much the same way.
But, instead of a double wing (as shown here with the bumble bee wings) just cut a pair of single wings, in a long oval shape.
Very much in the same way that I made the grasshopper costume.
Instead of green tape, you could use black – or even grey – to create the detailing.
They’re super-simple to make too! And are just as effective as the easy DIY bee wings.
Bumblebee Wings DIY
- Bubble Wrap
- Tape (I used Duck Tape)
- Safety Pin (or thread) to secure in place
- Take two lengths of bubble wrap. Lay them on top of each other and draw a long oval shape.
- Cut out (keeping the two layers together).
- Grab the middle of the oval shape and bunch together.
- Secure in the middle with tape.
- Open up both sets of 'wings' and tidy up the edges with your scissors. You can perfect your wing shape at this stage.
- Secure the 'wings' with a safety pin. Or you can even stitch them to the outfit if you're feeling super crafty!
No Sew Easy DIY Bee Wings
And there you go! It really is as simple as that!
Super easy to make and they look pretty cool too.
Perfect fast fancy dress for costume parties, Halloween and festivals! Just remember to save all the bubble wrap that comes in your deliveries and this easy-peasy costume idea won’t cost a penny!